We had lots of volunteers at the gardening for health group this afternoon and sunny, if very windy weather. When we had finished chasing chairs around the garden - we had sudden gusts of wind - we got lots of jobs finished off:
We hoed or hand-weeded most of the planted beds and continued to move the old leaf mould onto them as a mulch.
We finished off our first leaf mould bin and put all the leaves collected in black plastic bags in them, which is very pleasing for those of us who don't like a garden full of black plastic. Apparently, we have enough materials for another bin - great news.
We moved all the haystacks from the meadow beds, into the newly labelled compost bins and also into a big mound next to them (we ran out of room). Hopefully, these will make some beasts a nice nest and will rot down to be piled into the 'feed me' bin at intervals.
We also walked around the periphery of the green area thinking about whether we need extra paths for access - we can discuss this with Open Spaces because it will help with their costings on boardwalk and also deciding about meadow beds.
And we thought about the implications of possibly not having reliable mains water in the garden or not soon. We can make a good garden, especially for wildlife, but would need to be less water-reliant.