What a lovely bank holiday Saturday afternoon. We opened up the garden and it was full of families of all ages enjoying the sun - and even the log circle.
One family played with the chalks on the path too.
We continued to sort out the wood and moved two pallet crates next to the compost heaps to use as slow-rot bins - when filled with twiggy materials, we think they could be good habitats for amphibians and also maybe a hedgehog.
We also tried out sowing the narrow beds with Grow Wild annual and perennial mix. We have lots of this spare and offered it to anyone who had some 'bare earth' at home - rather a low hit rate so far...
We also sowed one bed with about 2/3rds of a small pack of the Botanic Garden's (BG) bee-friendly mix (Throw to grow, from Moles Seeds - they sell it in the BG shop).
This has lots of phacelia in it. It seemed to 'go over' quite quickly at the BG but is close to the place where the nature pond will be dug so it could be good to have something temporary there.
The earth is a bit lumpy with grass roots but we did our best with a (rather vintage) rake, made two shallow drills (with a stick) either side of a central twine line, which we marked with short sticks, plastic labels from milk bottles and also some chalkboard signs.
We had to pause at one point because it got a bit gusty for fine seeds.
It is recommended to use horticultural sand to pad out the seeds for easier planting - we didn't have any, so we used (organic) dried seaweed powder, which is fine and a bit green. Using a plastic spoon about four teaspoons of seaweed is good for a couple of long drills. We covered them (to keep the birds off) and watered them in a bit.
We have lots more beds to sow - hopefully with the Sunday afternoon gardening group tomorrow.
We were also visited by about nine baby blackbirds - hopefully looking for worms and not our Pictorial Meadow seeds, which seem to be germinating quite well. And robins bouncing about...