End of summer update

Bits of pallet we couldn't use for anything else and some tops from cable thingies. We are trying to use up the wood supplies!

Bits of pallet we couldn't use for anything else and some tops from cable thingies. We are trying to use up the wood supplies!

We have been so busy, we haven't posted anything for ages...

We made two funny tables for lounging... one seen here.


Plant genetics - don't you love it. Both sunflowers, but one is intentionally dwarf and single flowered and the other isn't (two colours too).

Plant genetics - don't you love it. Both sunflowers, but one is intentionally dwarf and single flowered and the other isn't (two colours too).

Lots of people have been enjoying the sunflowers - of two sizes. 


First compost...

First compost...

Very excited that we finally have some good compost. No worms in it yet. We have used it on the beds around the green area.


Doing well despite the dry weather

Doing well despite the dry weather

The comfrey is taking well - with its mulch of home-made compost. The leaves will go into the compost when the plants are bigger.


Birdbox boulevard - we have two more but I numbered them 4 and 5 so now have to make another one with a 3 on it!

Birdbox boulevard - we have two more but I numbered them 4 and 5 so now have to make another one with a 3 on it!

We finally got around to cementing two of our four bird boxes. Positioned for robins with nearby food supply and a clear flight path from the hedge. Hopefully we might get some moving in next year.


We cleared some old annual flowers out of one of the paths, weeded the beds that were supposed to be full of Grow Wild plants (but didn't germinate) and transplanted some geraniums that had become intimidated by long grasses. Much better. Now waiting for the water supply, new paths and the pond to happen nearby.


IMG_7542.jpg

We purchased a scythe and are starting to learn how to use it... it is quite tricky on flattened long grass...


Our first attempt at scything... and then raking.


The Pictorial Meadow went very brown and crispy very quickly this summer - lack of rain and lots of sun. The one with cosmos is much better but the makers have discontinued the seed mix. We will have a re-think about next year...


The mixed bee borders and narrow beds with flowers grown from seeds have kept their interest much longer than the meadow areas. We think we need more of this and fewer annuals in future.


We have several kinds of rudbeckias growing very well, without much rain.


We even have a crop - in the nursery bed. Grown from some mangey looking supermarket living-salad plants.

Lots of baby plants (from seed) being grown on in one of our nursery beds before they go to their final destinations. Doing well in the veg ditch. We have been watering them with water butt water.

Lots of baby plants (from seed) being grown on in one of our nursery beds before they go to their final destinations. Doing well in the veg ditch. We have been watering them with water butt water.