Nightingale Park Strollers
- We decided to stop the Tuesday morning social walk, for a combination of reasons. The last one was on Tuesday 7 August. Of course people can walk at any time in the park, it just won't be supported by Sustrans-trained walk leaders or insured by them. We hope those who have walked with us since January 2015, have enjoyed themselves and will continue to enjoy the park. If you wish to walk and be social afterwards, many of the walkers meet for Gardeners' tea on Sunday and Monday afternoons around 3pm in the community garden.
We will keep this page going because it is a useful guide to some of the local walks. Maybe, one day, we will have another social or health walk in the park.
Other Sustrans social walks:
Walk and Talk in Newham. This started on Monday 5 October 2015. It is now held every Monday. Meet at the paddling pool on Lamma's Land CB3 9HX at 10.30 am. The walkers used do a short walk around the common or streets, spend some time having a snack in the Grad Pad cafe and then some walk back to the starting point. They now often go further afield and sometimes use buses. They would love some more volunteer walk leaders and walkers to join in. Details on the Sustrans website.
Abbey: Weds at 10 am, meet at Dublin Suite, Cambridge United Cambs Glass Stadium, Newmarket Rd. Short easy walk (poster).
East Chesterton: Weds 9.30 am (poster).
- Mill Rd: Weds 11.45 am (poster).
Cambridge walks: Local Health Walks provided by personal health trainers or exercise referral schemes
The local public health funded walks are now provided by Everyone Health Cambridgeshire (webpage on Walking for Health website). In Cambridge there are walks in Arbury, East Barnwell and from Nuffield Road.
Cherry Hinton Community Health Walk - every Weds am 11.30 for about 45 to 60 mins. Newcomers need to come about 10 minutes early to complete a walkers registration form. Meet at the Cherry Hinton Village Leisure Centre - look for health co-ordinator Carol McBrayne, from Better Leisure (01223 240 271). 'All welcome - bring your friends'!
Outside Cambridge: other walks we know about
Milton Country Park - page on Walking for health website.
National Trust walks: 'both walks start at 10 am and last around one hour. Please meet in the carpark just before 10'. Check their websites for more details.
- Wicken walk on Wednesdays;
- Anglesey walk on Thursdays.
Wandlebury health walk - page on Walking for Health website. We hear rumours of a slower (unofficial walk) that happens around the same time too.
Some relevant walking links
- May is National Walking Month.
- NHS Choices: Wipe out winter tiredness - a social walk would be great!
- Recent review article shows walking groups are good for you too.
- 'Walk outdoors regularly and you could love longer' - article in the Guardian.
Last updated: 17 August 2018